Question
Posted by: Sids Mom | 2011-01-10

Poor eating 1 yr old

Hello Doc,

My son is 13 months and 10 days old. He weighs only 8 kgs and his height is 74 cms. His birth weight and height was 2.74 kgs and 47 cms. We are of Indian origin. We are really worried about his food habit. He eats only 3 to 4 spoons of whatever i give him and that too only if i force them into his mouth. He never seems to be interested on his food. He is quiet active and sharp and very very playful. But i couldn''t convince myself with that fact. He is still on breast milk and i want to wean him from it. I am introducing other milk as his drink as well but he never want to drink them.
1) Which milk is best for him now? formula/cows milk/toddler drinks/pediasure???
2) Does he need a nutritional supplement? If so can u suggest a good one? Do supplements improve appetite?
3) Should i force him his food?

Dear Sids Mom
Your son of 13 months is slightly underweight, but his height is normal. A baby of 1 year on average weighs 9 kg and is 71 cm tall. If you wean him from the breast, try giving him a formula to start off with and then introduce cow's milk when he is a bit older. Small children eat small portions of food because they have small appetites and a small stomach capacity. So keep on offering him 1-2 teaspoons of foods such as porridge, pureed fruit, vegetables and finely minced meat, boiled egg, yoghurt and any other food he is prepared to eat. He needs small portions often - up to 6 or more times a day. ever force a child to eat anything and do not give up if a child refuses a food. Just keep on offering it to him without getting uptight- children can feel your tension and this will transmit to him. Id he is active and bright then I don't think you need to start giving him supplements, unless he is diagnosed as deficient in a given nutrient like iron. If you are still worried, have him examined by a Paediatrician who will check if there are any deficiencies that need attention. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on "DietDoc's articles' and search for the 2 articles I have written on: "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE " and "WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY" for additional information on weaning and introducing young children to eating a variety of solid foods.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-10

Dear Sids Mom