Question
Posted by: Superteddy | 2012-02-10

Polyphasic/Non-equiphasic sleep schedule

I''ve been reading up on the Uberman and Everyman sleep schedules for the past year and have been follwoing various people on the internet that are doing it. I''d like a to get a professional opinion before I attempt it because I''ll also be sharing my experiences on a blog I keep for my musings.

I''m not keen on the Uberman - that is way too intense, and doesn''t fit into my current lifestyle and won''t suit my family''s schedules either. I have been researching the Everyman schedule and have found something that will work - the Everyman 4, consisting of three hour''s core sleep and three 20min naps in the day to give me an extra four hours.

Currently I don''t believe I''m getting enough REM sleep even with a good 8 hours a night. I often wake up tired and groggy, and I don''t dream often. On the rare occasion that I do I find I dream semi-lucidly and have sleep paralysis infrequently. I have also considered that I am a possible candidate for sleep apnea with a neck circumference of 43cm (I''m actually quite healthy) and I''ve already had one or two nights with sleep disturbances - somethimes my girlfriend has recorded 30-second pauses between breaths while asleep.

I also have stiff muscles after a good sleep, but maybe this or more the bed''s fault than my own.

So, in any case: A core nap betwwen 3 and 5AM, with naps at 10:10, 16:20 and 22:40. What is your professional opinion? I''d also like input from other polyphasics as well.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

The schedules you are talking about are NOT based on normal physiology, and I would be very hesitant about using them. I would suggest that you get advice from a professional - get to see someone trained in sleep medicine, and please DO NOT TRY to treat yourself.