Question
Posted by: tasha | 2011/02/22

polyp seen in gallbladder

Good day DR,

I am 27 years my weight is 47 kg im not over weight at all,I have been for a U/S which indicated that a have stones on the neck region of my gallbladder doctors also indicated that a small gallbladdrr polyp is seen projectiong into the gallbladder from the anterior wall,Doctor please tell me is this serious I want to start my own family next year just got married but i also have a cyst(rite ovary) which thankfully reduced in size it is now 2.3 cm from 3.5 cm in december ...but with the above mentioned is it possible to have kidds......do i need futher tests done..please help.
Natasha

Dear Tasha
I am sorry to hear that you are having gallbladder problems. I trust that the surgeon who requested the ultrasound examination has advised you regarding treatment or removal of the stones and possibly also of the polyp if this should be necessary. Nowadays most gallbladder operations are relatively non-invasive because the surgeon uses so-called 'key hole surgery'. Once you have had the stones removed you should no longer have any symptoms. This condition should not affect your chances of falling pregnant. I also hope that the cyst on your right ovary is being monitored by a gynaecologist who will advise you about treatment options and if you require any further treatment to conceive. The gynae may do hormone tests to see if your female hormone levels are normal. If you only weigh 47 kg, then you probably don't eat much fat in any case, but a low-fat diet is indicated to prevent formation of gallstones. Click on 'Diet'nFood' and do a Search for 'Diet in Gallbladder Disease' for tips on how to lower your fat intake.

1

Dear Tasha