Posted by: Shelby | 2010-02-24

Polygraph Test

Hi there,

My driver was ''hi-jacked"  last week and only an envelope with money was taken. Our truck full of stock was not taken, his two cell phones were not taken, our truck was not taken and he did not have a scratch on him. It seems like the whole thing was staged. He failed his polygraph test, with grades of minus 8. A grade of plus 4 and higher is a pass. The test indicated dishonesty.

I would like to dismiss him but have been told that you cannot dismiss on a failed polygraph test as there is lack of evidence that he actually took the money. Can he be dismissed on dishonesty? I don''t want a drawn out CCMA case because I dismissed him on the wrong grounds.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

A polygraph test is not enough to base a dismissal. Hoewever the circumstances of this hijacking does look like there is a problem here. It is suggested that you do have a disciplinary hearing and if on a lbalance of probablilities the chairperson believes that that employee was dishonest then you can dismiss. You will hoever have to defend yourself at the CCMA.