Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010-03-15

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - Weight Gain

I have, in the last 4 months gained 10kgs. I have not changed my diet (I eat a healthy low GI diet &  am aware of all the correct food groups, quantities, portion sizes etc). I have also been exercising more than I have ever in my life (and love it!) 4 times a week, playing squash, which is a heavy cardiovascular workout, for an hour at time. I went to my GP and had all blood-work tested, so I am not pre-menopausal, thyroid is fine, blood pressure perfect, cholesterol spot-on, blood sugar where it should be etc. My height is 5 foot 2 and weight is 70kgs, I don''t have a naturally ''skinny'' frame, but I am healthy, firm and fit, with this additional weight, my stomach feels &  looks bloated (my husband says I look pregnant, which I am not –  comments like that did not go down well!). My BMI is reading ''obese'', and I am mortified &  stumped. My GP did suggest that I might have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and due for an ultrasound. I have never had regular periods and have kept a ''period diary'' for my Gynae, this has never really bothered me, only of late when I do get my period, they are incredibly painful and heavy &  even before my cycle begins I feel a ''dragging'' sensation at the bottom of my stomach (I am not sure if this is relevant). I am 38 and have one child. I really cannot understand why this is happening, &  feel quite depressed about it.

If you are worried about PCOS, this can easily be checked for with a scan. Unfortunately, weight does increase as you get older - there is a reason why it is called middle age spread.

3
Posted by: Kate | 2010-03-19

Maybe you should be tested for insulin resistance since PCOS is suspected, it could explain why you are not losing the weight, maybe also IBS (bloatedness-also common with insulin resistance)

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Lee | 2010-03-18

I''m sorry... would your response be the same if I had lost 10kg''s in 4 months (i/e not changing anything in my diet, leading a healthy lifestyle - is rapid weightloss down to middle age as well and of no concern?) - so I must just ignore this apparent morphing of my body shape, being bloated, uncomfortable, give up working-out 5 times a weak for an hour each time, eat junk because at this rate it is entirely normal and by the time I''m 45 I should be dead from a heart attack as this is part of the middle age spread!. I am 38 years old not 12 and am a well educated, successfull woman - do not insult my intelligence!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-03-17