Posted by: Sophia | 2009-08-31

Polycystic Ovaries and

Dear Dr C

After being on the pill for 15 years, I have recently come off and have now been diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries. I have all the common associated symptoms of this including insulin resistance, overweight, skin problems and male pattern hair growth.
I have taken this news very seriously (we want to start a family) and have embarked on a low GI diet and introduced exercise to my lifestyle. How long do you think is reasonable to expect to see improvements?

Thanks so much,

Anon is right that it can be a long road. You would have to lose 5-10% of your weight before expecting to see an improvement.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-31

I also have the same problem - I was put on Glucophage for the insulin resistance, medication for the underactive thyroid and also followed the low GI diet. Nothing happened for a about six months, and I only managed to loose about 3kg' s. I then went on to Clomid to help me ovulate in order to fall pregnant, because ovulation didn' t happen naturally. Another year passed, and I didn' t fall pregnant. I decided to go for the ovarian drilling, and only managed to fall pregnant more than a year later. This is just to explain that you should be patient, and not expect a miracle cure. Unfortunately this sometimes is quite a long road. I would suggest working with a qualified nutritionist. Your doctor/gynea can refer you. Good luck.