Posted by: Maria | 2009-07-27

Polycystic ovaries

Hi. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. The gynae put me on the pill. (Yasmin). Will this cure my polycystic ovaries and will I be able to have children - what are the options? I am 30 years of age. I am concerned as my mother reach menopause in her very early 40' s.

Dear Maria

The use of the pill will only control the menstrual irregularity that accompany the polycystic ovarian syndrome but will not eliminate or cure the condition. In order to conceive it may be necessary to actively induce ovulation either by means of tablets or by means of injectables. Other associated treatments may also be necessary such as dietary control as well as the use of insulin sensitises, should insulin resistance be diagnosed through blood tests. This is particularly the case were the polycystic ovarian syndrome is accompanied by an underlying associated metabolic syndrome.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: G | 2009-07-29

The pill will just mask the symptoms, not cure the PCOS. PCOS cannot be cured although this does not mean that you cannot have a baby. I know many woman with PCOS that have had a baby naturally. If you are concerned, go and see a fertility specialist who will tell you if you are ovulating and help you to ovulate if you are not.

All the best

Reply to G