Posted by: Eliya | 2009-02-11

Polycystic ovaries

I know it' s quite common - but I have been trying to have a baby for over 3 yrs now. What is the best treatment?
I have taken these pills ( Ikaklomine) to increase ovulation (twice) and the only result is another cyst.

Dear Eliya

I would suggest that you begin with a full and thorough investigation of the fertility problem including evaluation of the fallopian tubes, pelvic scan to assess the uterus and ovarian status as well as full hormone profile. In addition a sperm analysis is necessary and once all the information is available, the correct treatment options would follow quiet easily.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim

Posted by: Q | 2009-04-15

Hi have been diagnosed with PCOS as well, I am confused as I am very skinny, have hardly any hair problems, good skin... the only thing is that I do not ovulate and I have a progesterone level of 1.3%? I am currently on Metformin, should I not be on clomid? We have been trying to conceive for 1 1/2 years and no luck. My husband has had a spermiogram and the count is not that great, but after consulting a urologist, he confirmed that we should not be experiencing any problems conceiving once we can get me to ovulate. What can I take to make Ovulation happen?

Reply to Q
Posted by: Candice | 2009-02-18

Have you tried losing weight. I weight about 69kg also had pcos and didn' t ovulate. Ate healthy and went on a diet lost about 10kg after that I ovulated normally and on my own without any medication. Now after 6 yrs of trying I conceived with out any medication. I" m 14 weeks pregnant.

Reply to Candice
Posted by: Eliya | 2009-02-15

Dear Dr.M.I.Cassim,

Thanks so much for your reply.
1) I have done a pelvic scan to check my tubes - all ok
2) Have done several blood tests to check my hormones - perfect
3)Sperm test - all good.
4) Every month I go for an ultrasound to check when I' m ovulating..... still nothing
I am lost here...

Reply to Eliya