Question

Polycistic Ovaries

Hi i have PCOS I wonder if u can help me what sort of Diet should i follow to control polycistic ovaries and what acidic foods should i stay away from as i was told acidity contributes to PCOS.
I normally have frequent indigestion and also find it hard to stay away from carbs completely as i get hungry and end up eating more than if i just include a few carbs in my daily diet.
any advice will be appreciated.
thank you

Dear PCOS
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is often linked to insulin resistance which seems likely in your case because of your urge to eat carbs. It is important that anyone with insulin resistance (IR) should consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, and other conditions such as PCOS and overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. The use of a low-fat, low-GI diet and plenty of daily exercise (30 or more minutes a day) will help you to reduce the insulin resistance and should also result in weightloss. PCOS is not associated with acid foods, so you need the dr who is treating you to investigate what is causing your indigestion (gastritis, ulcers, gastric reflux, etc). If you do suffer from one of these conditions then the dietitian will also assist you to avoid those foods that cause you distress.

1

Dear PCOS