Posted by: FEMALE | 2009-01-12

i' m 24 y/o female and have irregular heavy periods. was diagnosed with PCO and been insulin resistant. my job is of a physical nature and i do exercise 5 times a week and eat correctly. i have been on family planning to control the PCO but it was not long time. i am aware of the link between the two. currently my periods do occur monthly but not at the same time and is stil rather heavy and now painful. kindly can you help with regard to more info and later on would having children be very problematic for me? thank you

What information would you like?. If your periods are irregular, this may mean that you are not ovulating and would then struggle to fall pregnant.

Posted by: LL | 2009-01-12

PCOS cannot be cured only maintained.

PCOS needs a low gi diet and exercise to lower the insulin. When you have insulin resistance most doctors put you on metformin or glucophage to help lowerign the levels and apparently this has a 90% chance of making periods regular (didnt do it for me).

Women with pcos have a harder time getting pregnant but there is help and fertility drugs, all depending on how bad your ovaries are. Some even get pregnant naturally. Having pcos basically means you dont always ovulate...

Your doc can also put you on a contraceptive pill just to regulate the periods.

I am 26 and have had irregular period since i was 12, diagnosed eventually at age 21. All the best!

Reply to LL
Posted by: Emplyii | 2009-01-12

Hi, what are the dietary supplements for the Poly Cystic Ovaries.

Reply to Emplyii