Question
Posted by: Andy | 2008/08/06

Poly Athralgia

I am a 41 male, working underground on a mine. Yesterday I went to see my doctor, and he diagnosed me with Poly Athralgia. What exactly is it, and will I be able to keep on working underground?

Hi Andy
Poly-athralgia is not a diagnosis - it is a description of symptoms and means pain in more than one joint. There are many reasons or causes for this. It could be due to a viral or bacterial infection, osteo arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. If it does not clear up with treatment you need to get some blood tests and at least an x/ray of some of the affected joints to determine the cause. The cause will determine if you will be able to keep on working underground.