Posted by: Col | 2011-06-27

Polio / Oesteoarthritis / Oesteoporosis

Hi ''Hip Specialist'' - I am a 55 year-old menopausal woman who had Polio in my back when I was 2 years old. I had had 2 of the 3 Polio Vaccine doses when I contracted it and was admitted to Wentworth Hospital in Durban for 3 - 4 months during this time. Although I came through it okay and recovered, I was left with slight wastage of my back muscles (particularly the muscle between my spine and right shoulder blade) and slight scoliosis of the spine between my shoulder blades as well as in my lower spine. I having been using HT / Femigel three times per week for quite a few years and the last Bone Density Scan that I had done last year showed that I am Oesteopenic in my spine although my hips are okay. Quite a few years ago I was diagnosed (via x-ray) with early Oesteoarthritis in my hands which I have now also felt in my feet. I had blood tests to rule out Rheumatoid Arthritis and Gout. I also sometimes have pain in my hips (especially after exercise / walking or dancing) which I am not sure whether this is the result of my spine not being aligned or whether the oesteoARTHRITIS is now also starting in my hips. I take one Arthrochoice tablet a day and Omega 3 &  6. I would like to go and have a proper diagnosis done with hip and spine x-rays however am not sure which Specialist I should consult - would it be a Rheumatoidologist, an Orthopaedic Specialist or someone else? Any other info / advice re all of the above as well as what exercise I should be doing would also be appreciated. I am aware that for oesteoporosis I should be doing weight-bearing exercise however not for the oesteoarthritis so am a bit confused! Thank-you :-)

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

You should see an orthopedic specialist with an interest in the spine and hips