Posted by: claire | 2009-12-07

I have a bad habit of using earbuds and any object that can go into my ear, what are the dangers of this habit cause sometimes my ear aches.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Claire

Under no circumstances should you place any foreign body in your ear. Earbuds may never be used in your ear, as it will cause more damage than good. The more you scratch your ear, the more it will itch, and you may cause problems ranging from tympanic membrane perforations and recurrent outer ear infections. The external ear canal has very sensitive skin that may easily be damaged, and this becomes a very difficult problem to manage.
Earbuds also push wax deeper into the canal , making it difficult to remove.
Ears are self cleaning, and no cleaning is necessary.