Posted by: TVR | 2009-11-20

Poisoning? Sun Stroke?

We got home at around 7pm last night and my husband played ball with our Staffie for about 10 mins as usual. Just throwing it down the path in our garden (not very far), nothing hectic. About 30 mins after they had finished we made them food (which she didn’ t eat at all)
She eventually went and sat next to out other dog but her head was drooping down and she was falling asleep sitting up. It did look quite comical. She just looked exhausted.
So we eventually went to bed but she didn’ t want to get up and certainly wasn’ t her perky self and she was breathing heavily again like she had run a marathon
We picked her up and took her upstairs where she went to lie on her bed. We put a cool (not cold) wet towel on her tummy to try and cool her down a bit because she was so hot. She was breathing heavily AND shivering but eventually after at LEAST 5 mins she started to breathe normally but she was still shivering and then she started to close her eyes.
Then she was breathing so quietly we keep waiting for her to stop breathing but she didn' t.
She started to snor so that was a good thing. We could actually hear her
She was ok this morning. I was so worried that it could have been poisoning… . But could it have been sun stroke. There is PLENTY of shade in our garden and there was water in side (so it stays cool). They have a doggy dog so they can go in and out as they please.

Please advise because we nearly rushed her off to the vet at 11pm last night. want to know what to do next time.

Dear TVR

I have been away for a week and hope you have been to a vet in the mean time.

Posted by: Cybervet | 2009-11-30

Dear TVR

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: TVR | 2009-11-27

Thanks for the comments guys!!! She was fine the next day but always good to get other opinions....

Reply to TVR
Posted by: Chill | 2009-11-20

Dogs are fairly susceptible to heatstroke, so if it' s exceptionally warm, it' s quite wise to take it easy with the exercise - unless it' s swimming.

The other problem which many people don' t realise is: a heavily panting dog cannot drink. They have to cool down a bit, reduce their panting, and then drink.

It' s kind of you to keep the water inside so it' s cool - however, coolth, when it comes to water, is really irrelevant - it' s the fluid intake that counts - hot, cold, lukewarm, doesn' t matter. Put a few waterbowls outside as well, so you can be 100% sure that water is always accessible.

And I' d agree that it would be wise to report this to your vet, and get the dog checked out. Chances are she' s fine - but better safe than sorry!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: MJ | 2009-11-20

Definately something a vet should check out? Can' t help you, but maybe she' s got a heart problem? I' ve got a dog with a heart murmer and he gets tired quite easily. His tongue can even turn a bit blue. A bit strange though if this is the 1st time it occured. How old is she?

Reply to MJ