Posted by: Holly | 2009-07-08

PnP Oats

Hi Diet Doc

Could you please tell me if it is possible that Pick n'  Pay' s Instant Oats only have 160kj per 45g serving.
The kilojule content seems way to low to me as most oats have a higher kilojule content per 45 g.
I am trying to looses weight and eat oats for breakfast everday with boiling water-not milk. I chose these Pick n'  Pay oats specifically because they had the lowest kilojule content. I am just wondering if its not a print error or something?

Also can you tell me if my diet is ok - If m eating too much or too little: It is as follows:

Breakfast: Pn' P Instant Oats-with boiing water - 45g serving

Lunch: 2 slices Woolies Omega 3 enriched wholewheat bread with Flora Omega 3 enriched margarine - 1 tsp with
1 Woolies Chicken breast (Honey &  Mustard flavour) - these have a kilojule content of 575 kj.

Snack: 2 fruits usually naartjie or guava

Dinner: 1 piece extra light I& J crummed fish with baby carrrots, a green veg and half a cup mielies.

Snack. 1 glass warm low fat milk before bed

I weigh 100kg, I am about 1.5 in height and am 26 years old.

Dear Holly
It is always easier to compare the nutrient content per 100g when working with a number of similar foods, so I have just compared the P'nP oats energy value of 356 kJ per 100g (160 kJ x100/45), with that of Bokomo Instant Oats which is 1651 kJ/100g and Jungle Oats so Easy which is 1547 kJ/100g, and the value listed in the SA Food Tables for uncooked oats which is 1757 kJ/100g, so I agree with you that there MUST be a mistake on this label. Check if they list the energy value per 100g, which might be higher and then work out how much your 45 g portion weighs (Value per 100g x 45/100). I think they either left out a zero (1600 kJ/45 g) which would make sense or that this is the kcal value, not the kJ value. I think that you will lose weight on this diet, but would recommend that you do have another cup of fat-free milk or yoghurt per day as this will help you not to get calcium deficient. Adding fat-free milk or yoghurt to those breakfast oats will also lower the GI of the meal and prevent you from getting hungry. As you lose weight and get more mobile, also add 30 min of exercise to your programme every day. Go for walks or cycle and increase how intensively you exercise as you get fitter.