Hi dr. i have experienced a spontaneous pneumothorax for the 5th time. previously i have had chest tubes and surgery. this time i was sent home in the hope it will heal itself and have xrays weekly. last xray showed increase and now basal fluid. the dr said he would call but 3 days later heard nothing. i have no pain or shortness of breath. how can i get rid of the fluid and let my lung heal quickly? what is the recovery period for this?

I strongly suggest that you consult a pulmonologist (lung specialist), as this is a very complex disease and will have to be treated correctly.

Please refer to the following link for a detailed explanation and treatment of pneumothorax: