Posted by: Tracy | 2009-01-27

Dear Doc

I have been coughing for a few weeks (since before Christmas) and on 5Jan Dr prescribed anti-biotics. I went back last Monday as the coughing was worse and my lower ribs very sore. Dr diagnosed pneumonia and sent me home with stronger anti-biotics and told me to take the rest of the week off to rest and get better. I booked a follow-up appointment for Friday and I went for Physio on Wed, Thur and Fri. Physio said she felt there had been improvement from the breathing exercises we were doing at the physio sessions, but my GP didn' t think there was any improvement since Monday and sent me for xrays. Xrays confirmed pneumonia in the lower left lobe and no muscle or bone damage from coughing. I' m still coughing, although not as much as before but my left floating ribs are still quite sore when I cough or lie on that side. Even sore to touch. Dr said to see him in 7-10 days for follow-up unless I take a turn for the worse.

How long does the pain and coughing take to go away? Coughing is wet, but not into my mouth so IO haven' t been able to give a specimen for testing the bacteria.

Hi Tracy
Unfortunately it can take up to 6 weeks to clear up. Try using voltaren gel over the area and to take something like Neurofen if you are not allergic or have any contra-indications to using it.