Question
Posted by: Holly | 2008/09/23

PND - Good news

Dear CS, just thought I would check in. Have been on cipramil for 3 weeks and I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON! ! ! No more dark depressing thoughts, and best of all, still breastfeeding with no side effects on LO. Happy mommy, happy baby...

It amazed me how I could feel so very low. I have a sister who suffered from depression at one stage and I always thought she should pick up her lipstick and move on... Now I know its a real illness that is rather debilitating. At one stage I did not see the point. And all of this because I had a baby...

On the subject, how long should I take the cipramil for? And once I decide to stop taking it, do you ' wean'  yourself off it or just go cold turkey? And what are the chances of being depressed again in a second pregnancy and after the birth of a second child? Are there meds that are safe to take while pregnant as I was depressed even before little one was born!

Keep up the good work and thanks for all the good advice!

Helloo Holly --- thanks so much for the feedback. So pleased to hear your good news. Yes, we all tend to be so brave about OTHER people's depressions, but when it hits us, we realize just how major it is --- and nothing one could "snap out of" as other people so often seem to expect.
Generally, one recommends taking an AD for at least 6 to 9 months ( if one stops sooner, the risk of the Depression returning is significant ) ; best to see the prescribing shrink for an assessment when you are thinking of stopping, and then at that time working out together a regime for coming off it gradually. Cold turkey is not recommended ( except for very warm turkeys ). Having once had PND, the risk of a further episode after another pregnancy is higher than it was before this one, though still not inevitable at all --- but now you cn be vigilant and could recognize the signs earlier if it did recur, enabling earlier treatment. Check with your own shrink about safety during pregnancy --- some are safer than others, and it may also depend on which pghase of pregnancy, as a baby's vulnerability is greater at some developmental stages than others.
Nest wishes to Mom and Bby for a happy and healthy future !