Question
Posted by: Jes | 2012/06/11

Pnd

Morning Doc

I have increased my dosage of Cillift from 20mg to 40mg.

I gave birth 2 weeks ago (i posted last week)

Please advise how long it will take for me to feel better? I started with the new dose on Friday.

I really do understand your eagerness to feel better, and I wish it was possible to predict these things more accurately. Generally it's agreed that when starting a new antidepressant, it takes around 2 weeks, sometimes even 3 or 4, for their full effects to be noticeable ; and it may be the same when one makes a significant increase in dosage, but this hasn't been much studied. Also, generally, other people may notice an improvement before you do, so check with family and friends as to what they notice.
Unfortunately its not yet practical to predict which AD will best suit which person's particular individual brai chemistry, and only around 70 % of us respond well enough to the first or even second one tried, so it is sometimes necessary to try more than one before finding which one suits you best. Discuss this with your psychiatrist ( again, this isn't a situation suitable to be managed entirely by a GP ) to work together so as to find the best treatment, and achieve the best results as soon as possible.
And don't neglect counselling, which is also very helpful if of the business-like CBT format, to help you deal better with all the extra duties and responsibilities and stresses of new motherhood

1