Question
Posted by: Holly | 2008/09/01

PND

Hi CS, I posted a couple of weeks ago re post natal depression. I have gone back to my GP who now prescribed Lilly-Fluoxetine. The problem is that I am breastfeeding my 9 week old baby ~ so to date I have not taken these pills as I cannot find any conclusive evidence that this will not harm my baby! I am still taking the eglenol only. Will taking this drug harm my baby? I dont want to stop breastfeeding as I honestly believe that this is important to my baby' s health and wellbeing.

I love my baby and have no thoughts of harming him or myself. My problem is that I get anxious thinking that we will all die in the end. I am constantly thinking of death, that in the end, we will all die.

I had none of this before getting pregnant, and to be honest always rather looked forward to growing old with my dear husband. Now the thought depresses me!

PLEASE HELP ME

The doctor should have very carefully considered the available evidence when chosing an antidepressant for you to use during breast-feeding, or advised you this tome not to breast-feed. There is no absolutely conclusive evidence that it could not harm your baby, and no such evidence that it inevitably would do so. Remember, the decisiopn is complicated by teh fact than an untreated depression could also harm the child. Breast-feeding is in general a Good Thing, but is not, according to any good evidence, essential to a child, nor is its absence by any evidence, harmful. Anon is right, and Sertraline would be preferable to FLuoxetine.
Discuss this in detail withn your doctor, maybe ask for an urgent referral to a good local psychiatrist for detailed assessment and advice on this. And ask about the availability of CBT counselling, which can be very helpful in Depresssion, without, of course, the side-effects.

2
Posted by: oza | 2008/09/01

Before using Fluoxetine :
Some medical conditions may interact with Fluoxetine . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:

if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
if you or a family member has a history of bipolar disorder (manic-depression), other mental or mood problems, suicidal thoughts or attempts, or alcohol or substance abuse
if you have a history of seizures, heart problems, liver problems, severe kidney problems, stomach or bowel bleeding, diabetes, or metabolism problems
if you are dehydrated, have low blood sodium levels, or drink alcohol
if you will be having electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)

Reply to oza

I' m sure CS will say the same, but Lily-fluoxetine is not the ideal SSRI for breastfeeding as a lot of it enters the breastmilk and builds up in the baby. You should rather ask your GP for sertraline (Serdep or Zoloft). Its considered safe as it doesn' t really get into the breastmilk. Or even bupropion. But please, make a plan now and start your meds!! the longer you delay taking it the worse your PND will become.