Posted by: Melani | 2009-08-27

Dear Doc

I am 32 and have always had this problem since 2000
I had my first child in 2006 and my second in 2006, and thought it would go away once I had my children, but it hasn' t

Around 2 weeks after my last period, I get extremely bloated. And also start experiencing shortness of breath.For the most part my breathing becomes somewhat shallow and every now and then I have to reach for a deep breath. It is most uncomfortable and very noticeable.
Since havign 2 kids I do have a tummy but with this bloating and short breath, my tummy also becomes extremely distended-I look pregnant again!

Please can you tell me what is causing this difficulty in breathing at this time and what can I do abt is, as it does affect me and I feel quite unwell.

About 1 day before I get my period, I then experience extreme stomach cramps and loose bowels, which is soon followed by the onset of my period, which does bring relief.
Also, since the birth of my 2nd child, the few days following a period is quite uncomfortable as I experience severe period pain then

I would appreciate ur advice

Shortness of breath is not a usual PMS symptom, but it all likely to be related to hormonal chnages. The Pill or injection may help with this. Pain after a period suggests endoemtriosis. You should see a gynaecologist to have this checked.