Question
Posted by: zara | 2010/05/18

pms headaches

i suffer from extreme headaches just before my period, whether i am on the pill or not. it gets really bad and all i can do is stay in bed. its frustrating because i have a 3 yr old son who needs me and its taking a toll on my marriage too. i have tried lots of painkillers including synap forte and mypaid, even maxalt but they dont help. i usually end up taking a few of everything and then i might get some relief. please help

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Zara,

If you have a regular cycle, then it means that your hormone levels are normal. Headaches related to changes in hormone levels usually indicate that the body is responding in an abnormal way to the normal hormone fluctuations that occur during the menstrual cycle.

The only way to deal with the problem is to diagnose why your body is reacting abnormally to your normal hormone fluctuations. It is important to remember that the change in hormone levels is only a trigger, not the underlying cause of the pain. To find out why your body reacts in this way, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. This must include an assessment of the tension in the head and neck muscles. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, you need the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/05/19

Dear Zara,

Reply to Headache expert
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/05/18

Hi Zara

I used to get them as well and my gyae said its because I retain so much water . I pick up 5kg in water just before my period and that cause pressure in the head causing these terrible headaches.

He prescribed diuretics( water pills) and that really helps a great deal. Now I use the natural vital -buchu pills (also water pills )that you can get at clicks or pick n pay .

Another product is femolin PMS with evening primrose oil &  vitamins &  minerals for mood swings, bloating, breast tenderness etc.-that you can use every day or just from day 14 onwards or 4 days before menstruation(period).I can feel when my mood changes and I take my femolin PMS and all is fine. The kids dont get to me &  hubby does not irritate or upset me :) Well worth it and its all natural.-at your pharmacy.
It will help you and your marriage :) Ask me I have been married for 30yrs on 14 June 2010 &  have 3 kids.

Good luck and I am sure the natural stuff with help you.

Reply to Momof3