Question
Posted by: Me | 2012/09/19

PMDD

i think i am sufferring from PMDD. I have a thryoid issue and a bunch of other hormone related issues but i find 1.5 weeks before my period and during it i am a crazy person. Exhausted, miserable, teary, extremely agitated. I had PND and was on lexamil for 2 yrs although it just calmed me. I want to see a psychiatrist who perhaps specialises in this and can maybe prescribe the right meds. i know you cant give names but can you or any of the readers point me in the direction to find someone like this?

thanks

The term PMDD is still not widely used, and means " Premenstrual dysphoric disorder ", mainly meaning a particularly severe form of the more usually recognized PMS.
Your hormonal situation should probably best be sorted out by an endocrinologist, especially if there are thyroid problems which, when its under-active, can readily be both associated with marked depression, and to some extent can also mimic depression.
I understand your request, but apart from the problem of not giving names, I very much doubt whether any psychiatrists "specialize" in this condition as such, as that'd be a very limited field o activity. Some may indeed be interested in the condition, and may have worked with a number of people with this complaint, but there's nowhere where such special areas of interest are listed.
I'd hope that your diagnosis of PMDD isn't just self-diagnosed, but was confirmed by a gynae, as it should be ? Then I'd expect any good gynae to know whether any shrink in the area is working in this field or has dealt well with previous cases referred to him / her.

2
Posted by: Me | 2012/09/19

Thanks. I have seen 2 endocrinologists and 3 different Gynae''s, with everyone of these speciialists disagreeing on the others diagnosis. My thryoid has been nuked and i am on euthyroxin, my levels have not been too bad although i think it is time for another test.
i have asked SADAG to possibly refer me to someone who has worked with people in this area

Reply to Me