Posted by: Michelle30 | 2011-05-19

PMB Medication

I am a type 1 diabetic, and was recently diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and pancreatitis. My medical aid does not recognise these as prescribed minimum benefits diseases, and is making me pay cash for my meds. They amount to R2500.00 per month. The reason they have given for declining authorisation is that they do not recognise these diseases as being linked to diabetes. Is there any way I can get them to accept that these are caused by diabetes? My 4 doctors that are treating my conditions have written motivational letters, but have still come up short.

I strongly suggest that you contact the Council for Medical schemes. It is statutory body established by the Medical Schemes Act (131 of 1998) to provide regulatory supervision of private health financing through medical schemes. You can contact them on 0861 123 267.