Question
Posted by: CTMOM | 2010-07-27

PMA

Hi CS

Long time no chat.

This time, this is about me and not my daughter (who is doing very well, thank you for all your help with her).

I was diagnosed with a pituarity micro ademona (basically a brain tumor) last week and even though i know its not deadly, I am still so scared and no one seems to understand my fears. They down play my concerns and I am getting angry and frustrated.

How do I deal with this? These people are meant to be supporting me like I always have for them. Even my husband is belittling my fears :(

I am scared, why cant they see that?

CPMom ? Or CTMom ? Anyhow, pleased to hear your daughter is doing well.
As far as I recall these tumours are indeed not cancerous, but can cause a range of problems, depending on what hormone or hormones each particular tumour happens to be producing.
Some are discovered only by accident when tests are being done to look for something else, and can be called "incidentalomas", which apparently do no harm at all.
But of course knowing that ANYTHING is wrong inside yourself is unpleasant and can be worrying, even with good reassurance. But so long as your doctor is frank about what is happening, and what would be best to do about it, you'll be able to settle down and cope. It's uncertainty that's usually the hardest of all to cope with.
It's odd, isn't it, how terribly brave people are about OTHER people's illnesses ? Often I find they minimize your concerns about your illness, not really so as to comfort you, but because if you get distressed, they feel embarrassed and awkward.
I'd say to them that though you're pleased that THEY aren't frightened about it, YOU are, and you have every right to be, and you'd appreciate more understanding and support and less shushing and minimizing of it.

3
Posted by: CTMOM | 2010-07-29

Yes, CTMOM

Thanks CS

Reply to CTMOM
Posted by: Ruby | 2010-07-28

Perhaps they are worried and their way of dealing with it is to minimise the situation? Sometimes people just don''t know what to cope or say to you so they down play things.

Reply to Ruby