Question
Posted by: hale | 2011/09/17

plz help

hi, ive been experiencing this intense palpitations, my heart races and i can feel it throbbing, an i have tremors, restlessness, sweating. i consultd with my Dr. my thyroid levels r ok. he put me on a low dose beta blocker for 1 week and that really helpd, the heartracing i cant take. but he said i am having panic attacks, however, he told me i cannot continu with the medication, and these attacks r happening again and i really cant take it. i am under stress, i do exercises, im within normal weight range, please help. thnx

I dont know why doctors are so keen to check thyroid function, when there are other FAR more common and more simply relieved causes for such symptoms. Presumably he had examined you and ruled out heart problems, in which case by FAR the most likely cause of such symptoms would be an anxiety disorder, probably panic disorder.
This produces two types of symptoms. There are physical symptoms which you describe so well, and there are psychological symptoms of dread and fear. Beta blockers, which can safely be used in the longer term usually nicely relieve the physical symptoms, as seems to have happened for you ( so the drug should have been continued in the meantime ) but you would have been left with the severe psychological anxiety and fear.
This is why we treat this condition with medicines also used to treat depression, and perhaps some others, and also with CBT ( a form of psychotherapy / counselling ) which can bring the disorder under control relatively soon.
You should arrange as soon as practical to see a good local psychiatrist who can check the diagnosis and arrange for the usual treatment for panic disorder, and you should fairly soon be feeling at peace and calm.

1