Question
Posted by: Kitty | 2010-10-28

Plus-size and pregnant

I just found out that I''m 5 weeks pregnant, however I currently weigh over 100 kgs, and although I know it''s not good to diet when you''re pregnant, I am concerned about being this heavy and then still to put on pregnancy weight.

Please could you guide me, as to what I should eat, etc, to help me not pick up too much more weight (and if possible loose a bit).

Dear Kitty
First and foremost congratulations on your pregnancy which is always a wonderful thing. Now because you say you are very overweight at 100 kg, I would like to recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet plan for you that helps you to either lose a bit of weight or maintains your present weight, but still provides you and baby with all the nutrients like calcium, iron, omega-3 fatty acids and protein that you both need to be health and that baby needs to develop properly. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet because you need an individual diet prescription because of the pregnancy. Also discuss what type of exercise you could do with the dr who is monitoring your pregnancy (e.g. swimming or going for walks in the fresh air). Do some form of physical activity every day, BUT ONLT if the dr gives permission, because although losing weight is important, you don’t want to do anything that you endanger your pregnancy.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-28

Dear Kitty