Question
Posted by: one | 2010/06/10

Pls listen

Thank you for listening. I did go as far as to approach the SA Council for Child Welfare and they keep reffering me to the social worker at the branch. The unfairness and the single sidedness of the social worker is so visible yet the council say the case needs to be handled at the branch level.

The child mentioned the in-appropriate behaviour of the other grand father to my ex-wife during a visit. My ex-wife told me and I reported the case to the child welfare. The child welfare reffer the child to the child clinic for assesment. During thie assesment period the child stayed with me and my current wife. After this assesment in spite of the report produced by the child clinic, the welfare still recommend to the child commisioner that the child is to be placed with the father. This placement was done in a closed court (In camera???)

There is a court order stating that the child may visit me once a month and also my ex-wife once a month. Visit to me is suspende and although it is on unjust reason I can understand that , yet visit to my ex-wife is also suspended with the excuse "  To minimise external influence"  It is all a lot of non-sense. Many people, even my legal rep at work asked me if the social worker has not been bribed.

I had to get a Lawer who cost me a lot of money to draft an avvidavit for the police case and even he said this is unfair. The police lady said the case will be thrown out of court for both grand fathers for the reason that the child stay with the father at his fathers place, as it will be seen as tampering of the witness and thus the child will be confussed. The child turns 4 next week, so she is still small and manipulation can easily be made.

All the red tape to go through lawyers and advocates and the cost for a court case is too much for me. I have no trust in the social system, and the whole of the society as far as fairness and justice is concerned.

I am frustrated and really think there is only one way out, but know it is not the best way.
That was why I did contact the SA Council without any success. I really do not know who or where to from here. The child advocates seems to be an organisation just in name because they informed me that they can assit only the biological parents and in the childs interest. They cannot get involved in the "  politics of the families"  .

So I ask: WHERE TO FROM HERE?

Hmm. Organizations have their rules about handling complaints, which may suit most situations, but obviously not all of them.
Whatever the murky motivations of the different people involved, it ought to seem to them highly unlikely that if You were abising the child, you would draw attention to yourself by laying an official complaint that someone else was doing so. And its hard to understand why child welfare would ignore the clinic's report, and asign the child to the care of someone living with someone also accused of abusing it.
To then talk of "minimising external influence" is bizarre, as this tactic also reduces the child'\s chances of being able to complain to anyone else if her present carers are in any way abusing her.
And of course the expenses are awful. To me, hustice than can't be afforded, is no justice at all. Everyone involved is supposed to be caring primarily about the best interests of the child.
I hope other readers can come up with more helpful suggestions.
And do check out the Law Clinic option. Sometimes by this route one can get one or more law students involved and interested, and they can often have fresh ideas and may work hard on such a case if it interests them.

2
Posted by: Es | 2010/06/10

Please contact the Wits Law Clinic - they will help

Reply to Es