Question
Posted by: jacolene | 2010/01/18

pls help tell me what' s wrong

Thank you Dr Bets for your reply on my previous posts, sorry for my short and vague description but I had a blond moment again.

If I may, here is a more detailed description:

I was already at two different doctors. The first tested my blood sugar on that small apparatus and it came out as 2.8, he said that my sugar levels are low and must just treat it like Diabetes, with no further assistance or reference. He then said on another occasion that he think I have Gilbert-Sindrome (re for the dry red spots). The second docter, after I explained my problem sent me for blood tests and according to him everything was fine.

The spots started after my child'  s birth 2005. I went to see a Dermatologist and he advised me to use Epizone products instead of my usual bathing products, which I then did do for about an year, but it did not get any better. I then tried even milking salve, supersalve, aquaoas (sorry for the spelling) cream and several other creams and soaps but to no success. And it is getting worse, my whole body is covered with the spots now. (has a sort of flake covering the spot then the flake comes off and a red spot is left that eventually disappears)

Concerning my headaches, I went to see a Nerologist which sent me for scans, according to him the scans came out clean with no reason for my headaches. It is a everyday battle, with about 2-3 migraines in a month, I am tired of pain pills and I am scared of getting addicted, I try to avoid taking pain killers up until the point that I cannot handle the pain anymore.

The nausia feelings are also there most of the time, but like a hollow spot feeling crossed with nausia. I eat regularly everyday.

I also get shakes, sometimes my whole body and sometimes it feels like my intestines are shaking.

I wear spectecles now but sometimes it feels like I can not see even with the glasses.

It has happened quite a few times now and more regularly that I '  black out'  , eg when I am driving or talking or when busy with any other activity. It terrifies me because I am scared of making an accident or something.

Most of the time of the day I am feeling tired, no no no energy. I want to sleep, during the day I try to take a power nap to try to feel better.

Everytime when it feels like my veins and or blood is on fire I go into panic because it feels like I am dying (that burning feeling and all the other symptoms together), it happens about once a week.

Oh and a embarresment for me: I am always sweating like someone sitting in a sauna!! It doesn'  t have to be hot or humis and there I go? What can be the cause of that?

I am so sorry for asking all these questions and bombarding you with all the detail, but you are the first Doctor/s I can really ask all these questions without being stopped in the middle and having a prescription being stuffed into my hand.

I have made contact with a family member that told me that I have the same symptoms as he does and he is diagnosed with diabetes. I am not sure of the type but he can not consume any sugar, his father and his brother has the type of diabetes that you have to carry something sweet in their pocket for when they feel their sugar is not right.

I do not want to jump to conclusions but I am worried, there is also a history of diabetes in my family. That is why I am contacting you. If you suspect it might be diabetes, can you please explain in laymans terms what is diabetes type 1&  2 and how is it developed? Please

Oh yes and I am not pregnant. If you have any advice or references to a local dr in my area (Krugersdorp / Randfontein / Roodepoort area) which can give me a thorough check up and a proper diagnoses and any further help.... Please, any and all detail will be highly appreciated!

And another word of thanks to you and all the other docters and experts on this site: All of you are doing a fantastic job to help us, you all are making a difference in our lives by giving us a nudge in the right direction.
I am just sorry that I did not know about you or this site earlier.

And another thing, as you can even see: I am very forgetful, short concentration span and a VERY short short term memory.
I also have this restless leg thing going on very frequently, which then also interferes with my sleep at night, but even through the day I struggle to keep my legs still and I walk around a lot.
Sorry for the bombardment again. But please help

Hallo Jacolene
<br/>Please discuss with your general practitioner and ask for a referral to a physician. A few comments:

1. I think you should let a physiotherapist evaluate your back and neck to see if the headaches don't come from muscle spasms or trigger points
2. You could ask that they do a skinbiopsy to determine the cause of the rash
3. Nausea could be due to inflammation of the stomach lining (gastritis)caused by medication or anxiety
4. Blackouts needs further examination - at least an EEG and 24 hour halter ECG
5. Sweating, burning feeling in the veins, restless legs could be signs of panic attacks or severe anxiety or even an overactive thyroid gland. Blood tests may be necessary.
6.Diabetes can be tested by doing a fasting blood sugar test early in the morning.
See http://www.kznhealth.gov.za/diabetes1.htm

3
Posted by: Cherene | 2015/01/28

I need help please..... I am 24 years old and i suffer from sever headaches everyday. I wake up in the morning with a headache and go to sleep at night with a headache. I have tried all sorts of pain killers but nothing seems to help.I have stopped taking pain killers because they dont help and the headache is still there. I t seems to be getting worse everyday. I wake up in the morning and the pain is really bad and i feel like vomiting and i feel like passing out - off balance and i cannot concentrate. It is extremely difficult for me to be at work as all i want to do is sleep. Could you please help me? I need to see a doctor but i am not on a medical aid at the moment but will be in the next month but i feel as if i cannot wait that long... The pain is killing me and i am depressed and irritable because of this headache.

Reply to Cherene
Posted by: Toesie | 2010/01/19

Dear Dr Bets

My Dad is 72 years old. He does not drink or smoke. He is over-weight, 120kg, 6 ft tall. He had general good health up until now, only on high blood pressure tablets for the last couple of years. For the last couple of months he constantly says that he feels tired. His back gives him some trouble (I think it might be because of his big stomach). If he sits and watch TV or read the paper he is fine, but the moment he starts to move around, like walking 20 meters he is quite out of breath, but it goes over quickly. He is never out of breath while in a resting position or sleeping. He has no other strange symptoms other than constant tired-feeling. He has been now with 2 different GP' s, the one checked the basis stuff and said he must loose some weight (which he did, he has lost 11kg so far) the other GP tested his blood for iron, thyroid etc and said nothing that he tested was wrong. This particular GP then said it might be the high-blood pressure tablet that my dad is using that makes him feel so tired, he changed the tablet to something else last week and my dad still feels tired.
What else should be tested and looked at? I appreciate your valued reply.

Reply to Toesie
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/18

Hallo Jacolene

Reply to cyberdoc