Question
Posted by: Precious | 2011/06/09

PLS HELP

I''m 40 yrs old, married with three kids. I have 2 National diplomas from Technikons.

My problem is, when I''m talking I forget words, that is when I''m talking my language which is Xhosa and when I''m talking English.

I have a 19 year old daughter she has a same problem of forgetting words though she is better than me. Is it because she has been raised by the parent who has a same problem or this problem is in our blood?

This has cause problems for me, as I can''t express myself on interviews. My colleagues are speaking fluent English, sometimes I copy words from them but I forget those words again. I understand the meaning of the words, I understand when someone is using the words but when i want to use them they just disappear.

Is this some kind of disorder? Do u think visiting speech therapy will help?

Pls help.

OK, the details are important. So this problem affects you in BOTH languages, your home language and your second language. Interesting that your adult daughter eperiences the same problem. I doubt she has learned it from you - one tends to learn behaviours that seem to have advantages, which this doesn't.
If I understand your description, you have difficulty at times finding the exact word you want, words you know, but don't bring to mind as quickly as you would like, when you need them. I would guess this probably doesn't happen when you're comfortable and relaxed at home, talking to your daughter or thinking to yourself, but in more stressful settings, at work or otherwise in front of people, when you may wory that they'll find fault, maybe notice the words you use, and you want to get things right ?
Its probably a mild form of social anxiety ( quite a few people feel speechless and unable to find ANY sensible words when they feel under scrutiny or being assessed. Counselling of the CBT form to hekp one feel confident and not anxious in such settings usually clears this up.
It doesn't sound like a serious disorder of any other type I can think of.

2
Posted by: 9593a1 | 2011/06/09

Kwakwakwakwakwa rolling on the floor. Sisi am speechless

Reply to 9593a1