Posted by: JOS | 2011-05-25

hi DOC

I Have a problem trying to lose weight. i am 35 and weigh about 75kg 1.54 and i need to lose about 10 kg''s. My overweight is causing me to be ill, my body is too heavy for my feet get sore. i am pear shaped and my belly fat is causing backache. I have arm fat which is ugly and want to get rid of it. When i try to excercise i get tired quickly. i cant walk or jogg cos where i stay it is unsafe. TV excercises i tried. i get hungry every two hours went for hypoglaemic tests but apparently nothing wrong.

What i would like to know is how can i make it possible for me to do some excercise done and lose weight seeing that i have to eat every two hours. i get sick if i dont eat. also i dont have a lot of money to buy all this fancy foods for dieting.

i used to be an athlete and now...

i need your help elaborate please

Hi Jos

I think you just need a programme or someone to help advise you on how to start. I mean, without wishing to be presumptuous, everyone who has been ianctive for a long time is going to be unfit to start and getting tired early is pretty normal. So a lot of it has to do with building up fitness levels and getting yourself into the kind of fitness that will allow you to train more effectively.

So my two pieces of advice are to speak to a trainer about a programme, or download one that starts off really easy from our programme. And second, and maybe even more important, find someone to do it with you - if you struggle for motivation the best thing you can do is to train with a friend, then you're in it together and that makes a world of difference!

Posted by: JOS | 2011-05-27

your advice is very solid and i thank you, though i thought that probably because of asmatic problems it so happens i get tired quickly but like i said it sounds solid

Reply to JOS
Posted by: Karla | 2011-05-25

Hi, no expert but I can offer advice.

The reason why you can''t exercise for long is because you are unfit. What you need to do is build up your fitness levels slowly. Start with doing say 5-10 minutes of cardio (jogging on the spot, skipping with a skipping rope, stepping on stairs or a stepping machine, jumping on a mini trampoline, etc). Carry on doing this daily until you can do it COMFORTABLY, i.e. until you can do it without being out of breath, you don''t feel exhausted after, etc. It may take weeks and months to build it up but don''t lose interest! You can also mix it up by using weights or dumbells while you step or whatever. Then, with regards to your eating, while you may have to eat every two hours, you don''t have to eat fatty, high calorie meals. Eat a banana or two or a few ProVita''s or some carrot sticks. And you can cheat a bit by eating foods with negative calorie values, i.e. food that makes your body burn more calories to digest the food than the food actually contains. So example, if you eat an apple that has 80 calories, then it will take your body say 90 calories to burn it.

Remember, baby steps.

Reply to Karla