Question
Posted by: worried mom | 2008/10/06

pls assist

hi there, my inlaws suggest that my son is not properly fed, because he easts cereal in the morning, and lunch,supper eg rice, veggies and meat. he is only 2years and they told the dad that he should eat pap and milk for breakfast, lunch and supper...i am concerned because i think what they meant is that i am not a gud mother, he has been getting sick, he has a breathing problem and skin rash, apparently its because of what i feed him,he lost weight which i went and bought multivitamins, and I dewormed him.... i am concernd as well but this really disturbed me.please assist.!!!

Dear Worried Mom
If you only feed your child maize meal porridge 3 times a day, I suspect he will be a lot less healthy than he is on your diet. Young children do get sick often because they are still building up their immunity. Take your son to the dr or clinic for a checkup to see what is causing his breathing problem and the skin rash (it may be allergies to things like grass, dust or any other allergen). If he is allergic or has an infection, the dr will prescribe the correct treatment. Then click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Toddlers' to see what and how much a toddler should eat every day. A diet must have some variety if you can afford it and it is always better to give all the members of the family cereal or porridge with milk or yoghurt and a fruit for breakfast, meat, fish or eggs or cheese with brown bread or maize meal or sweet potatoes or brown rice or stampkoring (crushed wheat) or maize grits for lunch and supper. Give them 2 cups of milk, maas or yoghurt a day. Make sure that they eat at least one vegetable a day that is dark green like cabbage, or spinach, or marog, and one that is dark yellow like pumpkin, sweet potatoes, or carrots or butternut or Hubbard squash. Finally give them one or two fruits a day, making sure that one is a good source of vitamin C (oranges, naartjies, pawpaw, mangoes, guava, spanspek). Just keep in mind that children of 2 years have a small tummy and can't eat large servings of food at one meal, so they need small helpings more often each day.