Question
Posted by: Niki | 2011/03/28

Pls advise

Good day Doctor,

I was on the injection for six months (since september last year), and have since discontinued due to the side-effects i was experiencing. I wanted to start the pill, but was advised that my period would take up to a year to return and since i''ve been on the injection i did not get my period. I discontinued the injection which was due 3 weeks ago and have not been on any form of contaception since, as i was waiting for my period to return first before i started the pill. About 2 weeks ago i had spotting, just a small amount on pinkish blood (lasted about a day). Last week i''ve had period pain, quite intense, i had to take a painkiller, but no actual bleeding (that lasted two days), i''ve also been suffering with awful bloating, all the signs of pms. I did take a pregnancy test, just to make sure and it was negative. Please advise when i should start with the pill, as i am not sure what is going on with my body, if i''ve started ovulating etc, or could i fall pregnant even though i haven''t had my period for 6 months.

You should start taking the Pill now. It sounds like your periods are returning quicker than average, and you could fall pregnant.

1