Question
Posted by: Pp | 2008/07/16

Pls. advice sick leave!

Hi Guys
Have resigned and only a week and couple days left to go, i'm bored want to take a week sick leave since i haven't taken a holiday at work this year, they are going to pay my leave but i don't think they are going to pay the whole amout of which i have no idea how much will they pay out, can't wait for my new employer. pls. advice how to do it. have a great day.

Sorry, I don 't know about such things, b ut I'm sure other readers can comment usefully

4
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/16

Don't abuse your sick leave. If you don't have a genuine doc certificate they can say you were away without permission and refuse to pay you for those days. You can also never expect a decent reference from these people.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Mathilda | 2008/07/16

Hi Pp,

Congratulations on your new job. I can imagine how excited you must be but please try not to burn your bridges behind you because you never know what may happen in future.

Reply to Mathilda
Posted by: Pp | 2008/07/16

Thanx A-"nonnie" much appreciated!

Reply to Pp
Posted by: a-"nonnie" | 2008/07/16

Everyone feels like you do now in the last days of your notice period. They cannot pay you what they want to, they HAVE to pay you according to the LAW. If you are on a 15day holiday system it's 1.25 days per month that they HAVE to pay you.

If they don't you can take them to the CCMA. Why not go to the paymaster and/or HR department and find out EXACTLY how many days they are paying and then argue the fact should it differ. It's better to do it before you are paid than to do it after you are paid, harder to rectify then.

If you are absolutely insisting on going the sick leave route, go and see your doctor and tell him you are stressed out and you cannot handle this and that and that you need a break - as you are paying him i am sure he'll oblidge.

Reply to a-"nonnie"