Posted by: Me | 2010-01-27

Please rate my workout

Hi There, I am a 40 year old female and I have about 5-7 kgs to lose. I' m only 5ft tall (or short). I would ideally like to lose a bit of the extra weight and also tone up, especially the arms! I have been advised to do weights alternating with 10-15 minutes cardio after the weights as my body would have used the glycogen stores (carbs already) and will be more likely to start using body fat as energy. So Monday (lower body), Wednesday (upper body) and Friday (lower body) and then start the next week with upper body. After each weight workout I do 15 minutes cardio. I also do about 30-40 minutes cardio on the Tuesday and Thursday, normally run about 3km but I do this as interval training...1 min at 8 and then 2 minutes at about 10.5 or 11, depending on how knackered I am!
Do you think this is suitable?

hi there

The theory about using the carbs in nonsense, your body has enough glycogen to last for 2 hours, unless you're starved before you train.

So you could easily to 45 to 60min of cardio, without any problems. My suggestion would in fact to do that - more cardio each day. There's no reason not to do 30 minutes a day. It's especially the case that early on, when the goal is weight loss, you should aim for more cardio. The weight training is important, so keep doing it, but you can cut down on it for a short time, and then increase it again later on, where it helps with weight maintenance.