Please, please answer cybervet

Hi Cybervet

I have posted this question on 26/04/09, but cannot see an answer from you.
Please answer.

Hi Cybervet

Please be so kind as to advise me on the best supplement for my horse.
He is a 15 year old Thoroughbred gelding and I want to know what the best supplement is to keep
1. His joints healthy
2. His hooves healthy
3. His coat shiny
4. Put some weight on him (he has lost since I bought him a month ago)
5. NOT make him hot and difficult to handle.

I have dewormed him two weeks ago and he is currently fed lucern (as much as he wants) and about 2kg of horse cubes (12% Tranquil meal) per day.

There are so many supplements on the markets and I think that kelp, corn oil, super codlivine and other herbal mixtures promise the results I require.
Form my lay research I found that Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, zinc and vitamin B are common ingredients in all the supplements.

What nutrients are most important to boost my horse in the ways I desire? What can I give my horse to boost the necessary nutrients?

I am very strongly considering giving him oi of some sort (sunflower or linseed).
Is that a good idea?
Are there any side effects to giving him oil?
What oil is best - sunflower- , corn- , linseed- ?

Dear Anon

Chill took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-30

I saw your original post, and wondered if/how anyone was going to reply....

This is quite a specialised area of veterinary knowledge, and most city/suburban vets wouldn' t have the necessary practical expertise to advise you.

Besides, you don' t give enough information, nor in fact could you. The amount and type of work the horse does, its living conditions, grazing, temperament - all these things would have a bearing on optimal nutrition.

There are BOOKS written about equine nutrition - nobody can do the subject justice in a forum like this.

Besides - the optimal regime for any animal is a properly balanced diet, with supplements only to address specific requirements - a diet doesn' t consist of a combination of supplements.

You need to consult someone who runs a stable, or an equine vet, or a comprehensive book on the subject, and you need to bear in mind that for every horse, adjustments must be made constantly to cater for differing exercise and health requirements.

Reply to Chill