Question
Posted by: Babe | 2008/09/25

Please need any advice

I' ve got an 9 year old German SHephard. I noticed lately he has been walking funny. I know they get hipdisplacia (not sure about spelling). He has a lot of hair. I brush him out every week-end. Unfortunately the weather has been very bad this last few weeks. Yesterday I took the scissors, brush and detangler (for dogs). I started to brush him, and as I came to the area on top of his back close to his tail, I saw all this knots. They were very hard and against the skin. I managed to cut some of them off, and he was walking better. Then I saw that his skin is very raw. I' m sure it' s because of the knots. The problem is the dog doesn' t want to be still when I try to cut the other knots off. He keeps getting up and walks away. But I need to get it off. Does anybody know what I can do to make it better? Is there anything I can throw on to make the knots softer? I' m throwing antibiotic powder on the sores.(got it from the vet).

Any suggestions are welcome...

Dear Babe

Take him to a grooming parlour. The best is to cut the knots of with a clipper if very matted.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/25

And then make sure he has an extra blanket, or gets to sleep in a warmer place than usual, just until he acclimatises.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/25

Babe - if there is a problem in one spot, you might aswell ask them to shave the whole dog.
They might uncover another problem area.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Babe | 2008/09/25

I found a parlour that will be able to shave his hair off there. I explained to them what' s wrong. If I can get the hair off there, I' ll be able to treat it. If it doesn' t get better, I' ll take him to the Vet. Thanks for the reply :-)

Reply to Babe
Posted by: butch | 2008/09/25

U should take him to the vet to have a look

Reply to butch