Posted by: Concerned | 2012-11-24

Please help!Panic attacks and right hand numb for 7days now

Hi doc,
I''m 30 and I''ve been diagnosed with meds resistant depression and panic disorder. I''ve been treated with trepiline. haven''t been good with the meds lately as decided to stop due to the fact that maybe I don''t need them anymore and the side effects are getting to me. I have realised after 2 weeks of not taking meds, I do in fact need to stay on it unfortunately due to my panic attacks...I''m not sure if this could have something to do with my problem.

I had my 1st in a while bad panic attack 7 days ago...later that afternoon I started losing feeling in my right hand. It''s been tingling from my wrist down to my finger tips, my pinkie finger being the most affected...the whole hand feels uncomfortably numb with pins and needles as well as some throbbing pain that comes on in waves....

In the 1st couple of days my hand was changing colour and swelling, however it doesn''t do that anymore (I started taking some dispirin and vit B thinking it circulation). Even though the colour of my hand doesn''t really change anymore, the sensations haven''t improved and my hand feels ice-y cold even though it feels the same temperature as the other hand when I asked a friend to feel...My pinkie finger is the worse and i constantly have to flex my fingers by gripping motion and it helps for few seconds....The longer I leave my hand unused (except for sleep strangely) the more pain and pins and needles come in currents down to my finger tips...My thumb seems to be the only finger not really affected.

I had 2 more panic attacks 2 days ago and that seemed to have made my hand worse for that day but it went back to it''s usual state described above I have been feeling for the past 7 days. Could this be due to the initial panic attack? I thought it was circulation issue but it feels like nerve damage of sort.

I have come across that pinched nerve at C8 could cause this. i do suffer from tension headaches and my shoulders and neck muscles always being tense due tho my posture in front of the pc...the back of my neck is feeling hot as if the muscles are inflammed...but not sure how pinched nerve should feel exactly as there''s no sharp pains there...

Anyway, I''ve been tryin to determine the cause but not 100% as there are all these factors. I don''t have medical aid and so I''m posting the question here to find out if it''s something serious where seeing a doc is necessary or will this issue resolve by itself eventually or by any home remedies...

Your help will be greatly appreciated as I''ve been in panic mode due to this concern and not being familiar with it at all as it has never occured before.

Thank you in advance

Please try to relax. You most likely have irritation of the cervical nerves due to poor posture and muscle spasm. The more you experience psychological stress, the muscles in your neck and shoulders will tense up and cause pain and irritation. Consult your pharmacist for Robaxin 750mg and Ibuprofen to alleviate the inflammation and muscle spasm. If there is no improvement within 5 days, I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist. Try doing exercise, like yoga.