Question
Posted by: Johan | 2008/06/29

Please help with Macro nutrients

I have been dieting and exercising for 2.5 years now, I have lost 31.5 Kg's and reduced my bodyfat percentage from about 40% to 19%. My problem is that I can not get my bodyfat % lower than that, after some recent research I suspect that my macro nutrient profile needs a bit of work my diet currently sits at 57% protein 40% Carbs and 4% fat. I think the fat % is to low. What do you think?
I will be changing my diet from tomorrow to the following, 46% Protein 34% carbs and 20% fat (2905 Cal) and before I forget I weigh 94.2 and I am 1.82m. PS is it safe to go on Keto diets from time to time

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Johan

Well done!! Yes, your macro nutrient ratio certainly was out of bounds. The latter calculation is far superior. We usually recommend a 40,40,20 split or a 50, 30, 20 split. Make sure that 2/3 of your fat intake is good fats – they are natural fat burners. Your calorie intake seems on par, however if you want to drop your body fat more you will have to cut off about 500 calories per day till you reach your goal.

Yes, keto diets are great to boost your progress from time to time – obviously not if you have kidney problem.

Good luck!
Vanessa