Posted by: Lisa | 2009-06-26

Please help with Dalmation biting his tail

My 7 year old male Dalmation is drivig me crazy with his tail biting, please can you help? He is healthy, lean, active and tick and flea free but when he gets upset (when I go out for extended peiods or go away) he bites his tail till it bleeds. He messes blood all over the house and if I make him stay outside he bites it even worse! I clean it with detol and put germoline on it. I have now taken to putting a bandage on it as he s ruining my furniture and curtains. We were away last weekend but my father liveswith us so he is never alone and I have a spaniel who he adores, but if I am not around he mutilates himself. When I haven' t been gone for long periods he doesn' t bite his tail. I would really appreciate any advise you could give me.
Thanks. Lisa

Dear Lisa

A buster collar is the only way to stop him biting and if this does not help and tail amputation would be the way forward.

My GSD does the same thing.... I went and bought him a stuff animal.. He sleeps with it at night and it seems to GSD bites his leg... Since he has gotten the stuff animal  I havn' t seen him do it again.....

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-26

It' s a neurotic behaviour. Dalmatians can be quite highly strung, and they' re very active dogs. You need to talk to your vet, and see if he' d agree to a course of medications (which will either be a mild tranquilliser or an antidepressant) - you' ll have to judge by the results how it' s working.

You might also like to look up such things as separation anxiety on Google, and it may be an idea to consult a behaviourist - mainly to modify YOUR behaviour, which could influence the dog.

Reply to Chill