Question
Posted by: Roamy | 2008/06/02

Please help, suicidal brother

Hello,my brother used to drink a lot and do drugs. In the beggining life was treating him well and he was good at his job and we were sort of looking up to him.Things started to change when he got mixed up with people drinking a lot and smoking all sorts of things, he got hooked and struggled until he lost his job and basically evrything he had. He has since stopped doing drugs but he still drinks once in a while.Because of his previous behaviour, its difficult to trust him again.He is now working but gets paid very little and he is basically struggling,on saturday he told my sister that he had no reason to live,he is tired of struggling so much and he is also tired of not being trusted.He feels empty and he is thinking of taking his life.

The thing is he has a 1 year old son, i would have thought that would be reason enough to want to live.Another thing is that he says he cant do enough for his son as he has no money.He says he is trying to straighten his life but everything seems to be going wrong,he said that after he was robbed(which could have happened to anyone). Please advice,what do i say him, how do i make him see that all will be ok in time?I am so hurt by a thought of loosing him that i dont even know where to start,your advice would be greatly appreciated.

He may well be Depressed --- alcohol is a very depressing drug, and being alcoholic is depresing, too. But does he have to be so alone in all this ? Can't he see a pschiatrist or at least a GP for help with his depression and alcoho, problem ? Join AA ? And remind him that both yourselves and his child wil NEVER ever be better off wiothout him, and both need and want him around.

3
Posted by: Roamy | 2008/06/03

Thank you so much guys, much appreciated

Reply to Roamy
Posted by: LOL | 2008/06/03

being robbed should not be taken lightly. it has a huge impact on a person. i agree with ' just me'. any1 talking suicide is serious, never take it lightly. if there's a will there's a way.
when suicidal u dont think straight. u cant c the hurt u may cause ur family. u just need to get rid of the hurt, and suicide seems to be the only solution. it takes a hell of alot to get where he is at emotionally, and its going to take a while before he gets beta. i am sure he is going to b fine, he has a loving sister behind him

Reply to LOL
Posted by: Just Me | 2008/06/03

Gosh Roamy,
There's a lifeline number listed above. Call them today, and find where you can get help in your area. Your brother sound like he needs help. Some people just talk about things...others DO it. Don't wait to find out if he is serious or not. He sounds like he could be major Depressed. This is all treatable...but not if left alone.

Reply to Just Me