Posted by: Gary | 2009-08-31

Please Help re Stomach and Back Pain

I am a 31 year old male.

Over the years I have had the following syptoms. I have been to doctor after doctor who cannot seem to pin point what the problem is.
I get stomach pains (it feels like constipation, and I cannot go to the toilet properly). The pain is quite severe! This pain is in the area where I had my appendix removed 2 years ago...

Thereafter, the pain will be gone from my abdominal area, and then I get a sharp pain into my right shoulder blade area (which sometimes hurts even when I breathe).

This happens irregularly... sometimes a month apart, sometimes longer...

In your opinion what could this be? Please help!

Dear Gary
It may be due to spasm in the bowel/urine ducts /gall bladder ducts with referred pain to the shoulder ( irritation of the diaphragm or air under the diaphragm can cause shoulder pain) I think you should see a gastroenterologist for an examination of the bowel either by x/ray ( barium meal and follow through) or colonoscopy ( fibre optic camera examination under anaesthetic) I also think one should exclude kidney stones and gallstones, so a sonar of the abdomen may also be indicated