Question
Posted by: prevanya | 2008/09/29

please help- migraine ruining our lives

My husband is a chronic migraine sufferer of many many years. He has tried absolutely everything including visting the headache clinic, changing diet, reworking his workstation, posture changes, exercises , mouth guard for grinding teeth etc etc. Nothing has helped. He gets it almost daily and often takes up to 30 pain pills a day- menograine, pur bloka, lenadols, migrils etc. The medication is now making him very sick. Our quality of life has deteriorated drastically with him being so sick with pain. He often cannot eat, vomits, has stopped almost all his daily activities other than work and has become chronically tired. He sleeps almost all day when he is not at work. He has missed more than 100 days from work last year and its getting worst. He has become so fearful of the pain and I fear that he is now terribly addicted to these pain killers. He is 35 years old, and doesnt live like the way a young man of his age should live. Our entire family life is also starting to suffer as we cannot do anything together as a family anymore due to these headaches. I read about the surgery that Dr Shevel did earlier this yaer. I am convinced that my husband can get some relief from this surgery. My husband is very sceptical of most treatments as he has had so many over the years. He wont go on any treatment that will entail him stopping his pain medication. This is how afraid he has become of the pain.Please help us to get into contact with someone who can assist us with this

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Prevanya,

The only way that one can assess whether the surgery will be successful is if I get to see your husband while he is experiencing the headache. Please call me on 0825555763 any day after 4pm, and we can arrange something. He won’t have to go off his pain medication until his headaches have been successfully eliminated.