Posted by: Scared | 2008-12-11

Please help meeee

Hi there Doc, please help me, i suffer from anxiety attacks for about 1 yr now. I am on Zoloft, i have seen a phycologist and i was fine for a while. Now i am pregnant = 5 weeks and now i feel anxious all the time. Mostly at night. Please help?? what can i do? can you give me any tips. I am scared that something is going to happen to me - then my anxiety attacks begin - its now making me depressed as well. I dont want this to affect my baby.

OK, anxiety attacks can be stopped. I don't know what your psychologist did for you, but he/she should have used CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) to help you unlearn the habit of anxiety, to avoid whatever is triggering the attacks, and to learn to relax and calm yourself when you need to do so. Zoloft is one of several drugs which can also help this process, but I don't recommend that it be used on its own and without the acompanying CBT to resolve anxiety problems. And the psychological response would be safest f you are p[regnany. But you should see your psychiatrist for re-assessment and to decide with his expertise what to do about the Zoloft in view of your pregnancy