Question
Posted by: POST PARTIAL HYSTERECTOMY PROBLEMS | 2010/05/17

please help me - discharge &  odour

Hi, I had a partial hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. First week after operation I started noticing I was leaking what looked (and smelled) like urine. I contacted the doctor and he gave me a script for a UTI and said it was not necessary to see me. I was not happy with this and I phoned again, he wasn''t available and they had me deliver a urine sample and Dr. left an instruction for me to take the medication. So I started the medication (Uren I think and Urispas) and then I started getting a heavy discharge on top of the leaking urine and heavy burning sensation and ithcing and burning inside and out. Then I was tested again and it came back that I had a heavy vaginal infection and the doctor gave me a strong antibiotic + Probiotics. The infection started to clear up, BUT then I started having another discharge - light pinkish/rose coloured - but it didn''t smell bad or anything. I phoned the doctor again and they said it is normal in the first 4 weeks after hysterectomy. Then it started getting darker - and was red, like blood and also smelled like blood.. and now it is dark brown and extremely foul smelling like rotten egg. I don''t want to bother the dr unecessarily, I tried to get an appointment for 10th of may, because may follow-up after the op is onlhy the end of May, but he said he doesn''t think it is necessary. What the heck is wrong, because it doesn''t smell or feel right. I have to wear sanitary pads at the moment, because I still have small amounts of urine that comes out (just little droplets), but the main problem now is the brown, foul-egg smelling discharge. I can smell myself, it is completely disgusting and I don''t know what to do! Please, please help. I usually shower in the evening and bath in the morning, but I have now been taking up to 3 or 4 baths a day because of the smell, but I still smell and still have the discharge. Is there something wrong or is this normal? I am 32 years old

It may be that you have some scar tissue at the area where the uterus was removed. This can cause a discharge. Without an examination I can't tell any more than that. Unless you have a fever or tummy pain yu can probably wait till your check-up to sort it out. I presume that the urine does not leak all the time. If it does this needs assessment.

3

Posted by: Andrea | 2010/05/18

I had a myomectomy a month ago as well. i found the incontinence took a long time to subside. I didn''t have a UTI, but my doc said it is most likely a result of some damage done by the cathether.

I found that I also had bleeding for a while after surgery and towards the end, it was brown as well. But I never had any foul smells. You may have an infection. You don''t say if you are in any pain. I am assuming you had a c-section for the hysterectomy?

I had my surgery to remove cysts, fibroids, endometriosis and adenomyosis in the last week of March. I still have some drops of urine. doc told me to do Kegels.

You know what, if your gynae won''t give you an appointment, show up at the rooms and say it is an emergency as you are bleeding excessively and you don''t know what to do. They can''t turn you away.

Reply to Andrea
Posted by: Andrea | 2010/05/18

Reply to Andrea