Posted by: Sam Hart | 2009-05-01

Please Help me!

I have an 11 year old ridgeback who has gradually been losing weight but we have only noticed it recently because he has become extremely thin by his rear and his ribs are clearly visible. We took him to the vet and told him that he was fine and bouncy except for what he looked like. He did all the blood tests and a stool sample and everything came back showing that he is in excellent condition for his age. He has now stopped eating anything except for rice and we got the Hills l/d because he matched the symptoms of a liver disease but he won' t touch it. I no longer know what to do because he is till so bouncy and full of life. Also, do you know of any specialist vet physicians in the Pietermaritzburg area? Thanks.

Dear Sam Hart

I suspect that your dog is seriously ill but the vet was unable to pin point a diagnoses. I would suggest a second opinion at another vet.

Posted by: Steph | 2009-05-06

Hi, her name is Jane Fraser. Her tele number is 031 2614847. She can be a bit abrupt at first but she' s lovely with animals and has been so good to me and my little dachshunds. its just too bad that my dogs and I have recently moved to scotland, now we have to find someone else ! let me know how things go with your doggie ok :)

Reply to Steph
Posted by: Sam Hart | 2009-05-06

Thanks for all the responses. Please can I have the number of that vet, it is always worth a try. Thanks again guys.

Reply to Sam Hart
Posted by: Kate | 2009-05-05

Hi Sam
I think Steph is talking about the same homeopathic vet that saved my dogs life last year.
She happens to be a fan of Ridgebacks too.
I will check back and if interested or if Steph has not beaten me to it  ) I will give you her number

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Steph | 2009-05-03

I know of a fantastic homeopathic vet in Durban. My dog has had skin problems for years that no vets could treat. the problems were due to his liver problems, she was amazing and we got great results. if you' d like her number just let me know.

Reply to Steph | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jill | 2013-09-28

Steph Pse give me he name of the vet who assisted with ur dogs skin problems.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-02

Well, that would depend what they find with the liver. There are supportive supplements/drugs, which aid liver function. There are probably also dietary adjustments you might be able to make.

The key thing here is to know what' s going on, because that' s the only way for you to judge what kind of quality of life to expect for your dog, and it' s the only way for you to plan for his future. Presumably you want to do everything you can to keep him happy and healthy - but if that' s not to be, you also need to know, so that he can at least be kept comfortable.

Maybe you' re dreading the outcome of tests - that is quite understandable. But it can' t be all that much worse than fearing what it might be - and of course as with so many things in life, you could very well be stressing for nothing.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Sam Hart | 2009-05-02

Yes he has had blood tests, the vet says the next step is an ultrasound to check out his liver but I don' t know if there is any medication they can give him once they find out it is the liver.

Reply to Sam Hart
Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-01

Dogs don' t stop eating and lose weight for nothing - maybe on a very temporary basis, such as when there' s a bitch on heat somewhere around.

Did your vet do any blood tests?

I' d be going back there, if I were you - it sounds like a bit more investigating is necessary.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-05-01

I do know that Westville Animal hospital is considered to be excellant .... and they arent that far from you ... perhaps phone them and see what they suggest ?

Reply to Carol