Posted by: liz | 2009-03-05

Please help i am obese

I am 24years old, i weight 80kg my height is 1.6m plus minus.
My bone structure is big, ever since i can remember i was never skinny or average my weight. but since i had a operation for my apendix i got a operation from my belly up until down - they had to clean my whole stomache becoz all the poison was spreading. ever since i have a flabby tummy - and i cant take it no more (its bad enough that i have the scars for life. i have been to a gym - but i battle to keep up with the classes. i am in n running club were we run once a week about 5km. i dont eat so muchm small portions. what am i doing wrong?

Dear Liz
Your present BMI = 31,3 which is in the obese range. I think it may be a good idea for you to have a medical examination to find out if there is any underlying condition such as a hormone imbalance (thyroid, insulin and/or female hormones) that is causing your weight gain. I would also like to recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), esp if the dr finds that you suffer from insulin resistance. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. The dietitian will take your IR and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. At this stage it may help if you do an exercise that helps with weightloss, but does not exhaust or discourage you, such as swimming. If you could swim every day this would help a great deal and this type of exercise would not put such a strain on your joints, etc. Otherwise consider cycling even on a static bike.
30 min a day of aerobic exercise will make a great difference.
Holding thumbs that you start losing