please help bulimia

I had bulimia from the age of 16 till about 24. I am now 29 and though the illness is over and done with, I am very very weight conscious. Now I' ve just had a baby and while pregnant I didnt mind the weight gain, but now that baby is here the weight is seriously getting to me. I cant stop thinking about it. I' m breastfeeding and I was told that this contributes to increased appetite. I' ve been trying a new eating plan and I exercise lightly twice a week but the weight wont go. Should I see a dietician? I dont want the illness to come back so I need a safe way to lose the weight. I cant do this on my own.

Dear Anonymous
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Breastfeeding is one of the most important gifts you can give your child which will have a positive influence on the rest of his or her life, so do try to continue for as long as possible (6 months is a good goal). While breastfeeding may make you feel a bit hungrier, it also increases your energy demand and usually helps, not hinders, weightloss. Because of your previous history with bulimia, I would recommend that you do consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through this period and to ensure that you and baby get the correct diet, but that you can lose some weight.
Keep up the light exercise as this is also an excellent way of promoting weightloss and helping you to relax.