Posted by: stormy | 2009-01-12

please help- bleeding before period

hi doc

i am on triphasil i started taking the pill on the 22 of dec 08. yesterday i started bleeding slighty and also this morning my period is only due next monday wat could this be? i am not taking any other medication and ive taken my pill everyday.

and also my husband and i had unprotected sex yesterday am i still covered by the pill even thou i started bleeding? should i get the morning after pill?

wat could be the cause of the bleeding?

many thanx

Dear Stormy
It may be a breakthrough bleed - the level of hormone may have dipped a bit lower than your body needs. It will not affect your pill's effectivity, but you should tell your doctor about this if it keeps on happening. You may need a stronger pill - the spotting is unpleasant and a nuisance. You don't have to use a morning after pill.