Posted by: Samantha | 2013-01-20

Please Help

Hi,I have battled with my weight since the age of 8(I am now 20). I have been to dieticians before and biokineticists and find that the LOW GI diet does not agree with my system, it makes me bloated and crave sugary things more. I have an underactive thyroid gland, high blood pressure and depression/anxiety, and I am on medication for these. I am on the atkins diet currently but only seem to lose the first 5-3kgs before I Hit a plateau, My husband continues losing but I stop. We then get bored with the food choices and dispare because we don''t lose weight and end up cheating on our diet with our favorite foods like pizza. Or I would binge on chips or a pie. My favorite meals are pasta with a creamy sauce and pork bangers and mash with a rich gravy. These are the foods I find comfort in- all loaded with carbs, After one meal my tummy becomes bloated as I seem to have a wheat or carb intolerance. I am much more dedicated to the low carb diet than the low gi diet.Yet the food choices on the low carb diet is so limiting.The fact that weight loss is so difficult is really affecting my depression and need to binge, Are you able to help me? or can you refer me? Thank you

Dear Samantha
I am sorry to hear that you and your hubby seem to be battling with your weight and that neither the low-GI, nor the high-protein, zero-carb, Atkins-type diets are helping. From what you say, it would seem to me that you find it difficult to motivate yourself to stick to a diet and/or exercise regimen and that this then makes your attempts at weightloss fail. Because you also mention potential depression and binging, I would suggest that you first consult a clinical psychologist for individual or couples therapy so that you can determine if your inability to stick to diet is being caused by your underlying depression or an eating disorder. If this is the case, the psychologist will recommend what steps need to be taken to treat these problems. If you don't first clear up these psychological problems, all the diets in the world will fail. I would also like to urge you and hubby to start doing some form of physical exercise, such as joining Walk for Life. Research has shown that regular aerobic exercise not only promotes weightloss, but it also lifts depression and improves motivation to lose weight.
Holding thumbs